I Finished A Book!

As sad as it may sound, it has been a LONG TIME since I have read an entire book. I've started many over the last couple of years, but not finished them. I've also thought of, seen and read about many other books I'm interested in, but have yet to read them. My mental list of "books I would like to read" just keeps growing.

I really like to read. I'd say that I'm "too busy" to read, but the truth is I just don't make time to read. I make time for other things instead. We do stay pretty busy and active and I guess "reading a book" just doesn't make it's way into my schedule very often. I can look through a magazine pretty quickly, but a whole book seems like an undertaking at times.

When I get caught up in a book, I really enjoy it, but on the other hand I can think of several other things that I want/need to do be doing besides sitting down to read. I'm the type of person that can't just sit for very long. I'm a busy body around the house. Obviously driving to and from work, work itself, going to church, running errands, grocery shopping and other such activites fill up most of our week outside of the house. With the time we have at home in the evenings and on the weekends it is filled with other "things to do" like paying bills, making a grocery list, laundry, cleaning, cooking/baking, exercising, home projects, crafting, preparing things to mail...you get the idea! We also make time for our marriage to do our devotional and praying together as well as have fun playing games, watching TV and movies and having Date Nights. Oh and we need our sleep too - how important! All of that being said, it doesn't leave a ton of time for reading. But again, I could certainly NOT do one of the things I mentioned and make more time to read.

With the new year, I wanted to try and read more. It's not really a resoultion, but simply something I want to try to do more and make more time for. Reading is relaxing and calming and takes you away from reality - it causes you to stop and focus on something else. I need this. I tend to put a lot of pressure on myself, but that's something else I'm trying to work onthis year. So far, so good. Being an OCD Perfectionist, I have high expecations of myself and have been known to cause a lot of stress to myself. I want to be Superwoman (do all and be all) and I've come to the conclusion that I'm not. Rats! I can't change who I am completely, but I can make a few changes to help myself.

So I decided that as I embark on new books throughout the year, I don't need to be concerned about how long it takes me to read a book. It may take me 3 weeks or it may take me 3 months and that's okay. I may be able to ready several chapters in a week, but it may take me 2 weeks to get through one chapter and that's okay too.

I know I'm rambing, but I do have a point! (I know what you are thinking - "THEN MAKE IT!") Your wish is my command. My point is, I finished my first book of 2011...and the crowd goes wild. The book I read was by Candace Cameron Bure (D.J. Tanner for all you "Full House" lovers) and it's called Reshaping it All. I actually finished this book in about 3 weeks (but again, no pressure!). This was a very easy read and I just found myself so ready to dive into the next chapter so I MADE time to read. I read while I ate my lunch at work somedays, I read a bit before bed on several nights, I read while stuck in traffic a couple of times, I read waiting in the line at the bank and sometimes I just sat down in the living room and read (GASP!).

This book is all about fitness - physcial, mental and spiritual. It's part biography, which was really neat to read. She's been married for 15 years and has 3 beautiful children. It's also a motivational tool to put you on the right track with your physical, mental and spiritual health. Here's a quote from the back of the book, "In addition to practical advice and fun stories from her family and career, Candace offers a biblical perspective on appetite and self-control that will encourage any woman who longs to reach a new level of freedom. Embracing an overall healthy lifestyle begins by moving faith to the forefront, making some wise fundamental choices, and finding your worth in the eyes of God."

I've always liked her so when I saw that she had a book out, I knew that I wanted to read it. While we were in Odessa over the holidays, my Mom, John and I were in Mardel and John found it for me. I bought it and started reading it on the drive home.

I enjoyed this book so much and would obviously recommend it. Like I mentioned, it was neat to read about her childhood, career and current life. She also gave me a lot to think about when it comes to my relationship with God and taking care of myself physically and mentally.

Perhaps my mental health will be improved as I slow down a bit and read more books! On to the next one...
Until we meet again~
Riley

Comments