Memorial Day Weekend ~ Trip to Arkansas

About 3 weeks ago, we spent several days in Mount Vernon, Arkansas visting our family there. We hadn't been to visit since Christmas so a trip was way overdue. In addition, our nephew Jacob (12) was graduating from 6th grade and he and our other nephew Isaac (10) were playing in a baseball tournament over the weekend. We drove up on a Wednesday afternoon and we came home the Tuesday after Memorial Day. As usual, it was a really nice and fun weekend.

The boys' baseball team took second place in the tournament so it was nice to be able to watch them in a few games and cheer them on. They baseball park/complex was really nice! The fields were well taken care of and we were shaded by nice big awnings over the bleachers. Jacob actually hit a homerun over the fence so that was super exciting. Isaac also made a web gem out in right field making a diving catch. They are both awesome baseball players - we are so proud!

On Thursday night, Jacob's (and Isaac's) school had a "Celebration" ceremony for the graduating 6th graders. Next year, he will be going to a different school - HIGH SCHOOL - WOW! The high school in Mount Vernon is for 7th-12th graders. As you can tell by the picture of John and I with him (which is not the greatest picture of me) he's as tall as we are. He's such a handsome young man. We can't believe how big the boys are getting. (Cue the tears) Jacob had just turned 4 a few weeks before our wedding and Isaac turned 2 ON our wedding day - now look at them. They both do really well in school and recevied several "end of the year" awards! Did I mention we are proud of them?

A lot of time was spent outside playing in the creek by John's Mom and Dad's house. Jacob was on a mission to build a rock pathway in the creek so he put in some hard work moving rocks around. John was catching crawdad's and then letting everyone take turns letting them pinch them - how nice...haha! Isaac was getting down and dirty and getting WET! He walked across Jacob's rock path and also did a lot of splashing around. He was ALL in with getting wet and enjoying the creek. I didn't get in, but someone had to take pictures and keep Calvin company. It was so fun watching them be kids...and John be a big kid! It was a carefree time to have fun and enjoy nature. They boys had a lot of fun with Uncle John, as they always do.

The night before we left, I got to be a big kid and color with the boys. They've outgrown coloring in coloring books, but I guess I haven't - hee hee. I really like to color. It relieves stress and helps focus on something else. I have lots of coloring books and a big tub of colors and love to color when I can or have some down time. I did lots of coloring after my surgery last fall. I have one particular coloring book of cute animals. I decided that once I color them, I would add to the fun and give them a name. I had taken my crayons and coloring books in the car for the trip. Once Isaac saw them, I jokingly asked if he wanted to color and he said "Sure"...so we did! We ended up coloring for over an hour or so. It was a great time!! Jacob also joined in and we got a big kick out of it. Oh the simple things in life...
We also played baseball, basketball and horseshoes outside. We watched Rangers and Cardinals baseball games. We played a few games. We talked and laughed. We ate A LOT (as usual) and had a fun Memorial Day cookout complete with homemade ice cream. I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but it was a wonderful weekend!

I'm going to be spending several days with my Mom in Odessa soon (hooray!), so John is going back to Arkansas to spend more time with his family as well. I know they will enjoy him being there.

Thanks for a great time everyone!
Until we meet again...
Riley

Comments