I DO ~ A Decade Later




If I may be a bit selfish, Happy 10th Anniversary to US!

10 YEARS?  A DECADE?  How is it so?

I said in a prayer recently that on one hand, it seems like we've been together forever and it was so long ago when we got married, but then it also feels like ten years have passed at lightening speed. 

So much has changed in our life over the past decade...and in the lives of our family and friends.  The just turned 24 year old girl and boy who would be 26 post-wedding are now 34 and almost 36 (tomorrow).  We have many wonderful memories living in Conway the first three years of our marriage.  We then made the move from Arkansas to Texas and bought our first house together.  Though he now works from home (since 2006), John has maintained the same job at Acxiom working different positions.  I babysat a cute little boy, did some substitute teaching and then worked five years at an accounting firm.  Now I am blessed with the greatest job ever - a stay at home wife and Mom.  And now we have a precious, sweet son who is almost one. 

We have suffered loss in our families and weathered the trials of life along the way.  We have also experienced great joy many times over.  We have aged...as have our parents, siblings, nieces and nephews.  We have changed somewhat in appearance and in our lifestyle over the years.  Many ups and downs - joys and sorrow, but one thing that has remained unchanged is our love, devotion and dedication to one another.  To this day, we are still completely and totally in love (even more so than in the beginning). 

I'm thankful to God for how much time He gave us to develop our relationship, friendship and marriage before having Parker.  While we are in our early-mid 30s and just now starting our family, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. It was all part of God's plan for us for it to happen this way. I feel incredibly blessed that we have had all of this time to be together and create the life that we have. We have had the opportunity to establish an amazing, strong marriage filled with so much love and happiness. We've been able to travel, spend a lot of time with family, be an active Aunt and Uncle, celebrate many holidays, start traditions, attend various events, participate in all sort of activities, attend marriage conferences, create a warm, loving home, go on date nights, work through many different devotionals and have a ton of fun.

It's no secret that we are passionate about our marriage - we care deeply about it and don't take it for granted.  We are the best of friends and so in love.  What a great combination!  We have several marriage quotes on the side of our refrigerator and a couple of my favorites are "Save the best for your spouse.  No one deserves it more." and "A beautiful garden and successful marriage both take daily care."  So true.
John, my amazing husband, thank you times a million for our decade of memories.  I truly and completely treasure each and every day I spend with you.  These past ten years have been the absolute best.  I don't care what any girl says, there is NO better husband than you.  You treat me so well and take such good care of me.  You help me, encourage me, support me and understand me.  You have countless special qualities that I adore about you.  You know how I feel about you and what I love about you.  I also love that while we are alike in so many ways we are different in so many others and it creates a beautiful balance.  I look forward to many, many more years together and other "decade" milestones. There's nothing better than being Mrs. John D. Ussery.  I'm forever grateful for you, for our marriage and our life as one!  I love you so so very much!!

Until we meet again,
Riley

Comments